The ideal type of warehouse for your company
Choosing and defining a storage model is a big challenge for modern companies. The definition of a system has a direct impact on the organization’s logistical efficiency; therefore, it influences the overall results of the business and is more than standardizing storage and handling routines .
When we talk about logistics, we are dealing with strategic and complex processes that go beyond immediate decisions regarding the management of inputs and finished products. Therefore, it is important that the stock and flow structure is robust and organized.
Storage models are an ideal tool to optimize this process, as it is through them that the manager can visualize the flow of his procedures and apply adjustments and improvements. In order for you to know and have better efficiency in your storage system, we have listed the best storage options.
- Own storage:
- This modality is fully managed by the company, even if the warehouse is not physically attached to the production unit. It is recurrent that some distribution centers are positioned in strategic places, facilitating the flow of goods. Although this type of storage has full management power for business managers, it is not always interesting to move away from what really makes a profit for the company, the product itself.
- Contracted storage:
- In this case, the hiring of suppliers to handle the storage procedure is established, with a division of tasks. With this model, the company rents a physical space to keep its goods, continuing to control the outflow process and assigning its own teams for handling.
- Outsourced storage:
- This modality assumes that all the work related to storage and distribution is the responsibility of a contracted partner, exempting the company from logistical work related to the flow of products. This model is quite attractive, as it represents a considerable reduction in operating costs.
To define a type of warehouse, it is important to understand what type of product it is related to, whether dry or refrigerated, and also with the vertical type of business, such as industry, distributor and retail. The ideal warehouse has a certain proportion between width and length, it cannot be too square, otherwise it will have very long distances.
When you have a rectangular warehouse, it allows you to create an I-flow, where the product enters on one side and the exit on the other. This system is very common in operations with a high volume of product, such as retail, for example.
In cases that do not have a high volume of products, the most appropriate flow would be the U-shape, receiving and dispatching on the same side of the warehouse. In this case, it would be possible to apply an operation called cross drocking , which consists of receiving the product at the receiving dock and going directly to the output dock, without storing, reducing the cost of the storage operation and a future cost of separation.
In situations where there is a high variety of items, low volume and low intensity and frequency of access, there are innovative solutions, vertical warehouses , in which the operator does not need to look for the product, the product comes to the operator. This is a tendency that allows avoiding the operator’s displacement, moving around and looking for the product. This solution allows warehouses with large height dimensions.
Now that you know what options you have for storage, we have separated some points for you to check when choosing the best model for your business.
- Review and plan costs:
- Optimizing work must be a continuous effort, for that, it is necessary to know and monitor the company’s costs in order to make better decisions. In the case of choosing storage models, be sure to organize all the numbers, so you build a transparent view of your operation.
- Know your limits:
- It is fundamental that the business manager is aware of the limitations of the business, in order to avoid mistakes that cause losses. Therefore, in this logistical case, it is necessary to consider the availability of teams and the existence of a warehouse to allocate your products.
- Measure productivity:
- It is essential that productivity be considered, as productive companies are those that survive in a competitive market. When choosing the ideal storage model for your operation, do not overlook the possible gains or losses in productivity. Optimization and automation are essential for the contemporary market.